The Presidency has confirmed the released of 21 out of the 200 Chibok girls abducted by Boko Haram insurgents in 2014.
The confirmation came on Thursday after the girls were picked up by the Military in Banki area and taken to a Hospital in Maiduguri, Borno State.
A statement signed by the Senior Special Assistant to President Muhammadu Buhari on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu said the girls are currently in the custody of the Department of State Service (DSS).
Shehu said the DSS Director-General, Lawal Daura, briefed President Buhari of the development shortly before he left for Germany earlier on Thursday.
According to him, Daura wanted the girls, who were very tired, to rest before handing them over to Vice-President Yemi Osinbajo.
The presidential aide attributed the girls’ release to negotiations between Federal Government and the insurgents, which according to him was brokered by International Red Cross and Swiss government.
He said, “The release of the girls, in a limited number is the outcome of negotiations between the administration and the the Boko Haram brokered by the International Red Cross and the Swiss government. The negotiations will continue.
“The President welcomes the release of the girls but cautioned Nigerians to be mindful of the fact that more than 30,000 fellow citizens were killed via terrorism.
“Lawal wants the girls to have some rest, with all of them very tired coming out of the process before he hands them over to the Vice President, Professor Yemi Osinbajo.
“The President takes off shortly on a trip to Germany for a state visit. The names of the released girls follows shortly.”
It would be recalled that the Boko Haram issue would form part of the President’s discussion with German Chancellor, Angela Merkel.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?