Manchester City midfielder, Yaya Toure has confirmed that he has accepted his charge for drink-driving, but insists he did not intentionally consume alcohol.
The 33-year-old was charged with the offence after he was stopped and tested by police while driving in Dagenham, London.
The Barcelona former player was fined £54,000, a means-tested fine and banned from driving for 18 months by Barkingside magistrates.
Toure, who appeared at Barkingside Magistrates on Tuesday has stressed that he would never knowingly drink due to his religious beliefs – an argument he said the judge has accepted.
He said in a statement: “Over the last two weeks there has been some confusion as to why I was charged with drink-driving, as it is well known that I am a Muslim and do not drink.
“I have always refused alcohol. Anyone who knows me or follows football will have seen me refuse champagne for man of the match performances because of my commitment to my religion.
“The matter has now been resolved in court on Monday. As I was above the permitted limit when tested on the night, I decided not to challenge the charge.
“However, it was important to me that I told the court that I had not intentionally consumed alcohol. The judge in his sentencing remarks accepted that I had not been intentionally drinking.
“Drink-driving is a serious crime and even though I was not intentionally consuming alcohol I accept the ban and fine and I would like to apologise for this situation. I would also like to thank my family, the management and staff at Manchester City, my legal team and the fans for the support they have given me during this difficult time.”
The Ivory Coast international was recalled to the Manchester City squad earlier this month after apologising for “misunderstandings” relating to comments made by his agent Dimitri Seluk.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?